Massage may be one of the oldest forms of medical care- Egyptian tomb paintings show people being massaged.
- There are approximately 5 million touch receptors in our skin- 3,000 in a fingertip.
- Massage is not a luxury. It is necessary to sustain well-being: physically, mentally, and spiritually.
- A one hour massage equates to 7-8 hours sleep for the body.
- Bob Hope lived to be 100 years old. Supposedly he had a daily massage. Connection?
- If you receive a massage every week, you will have 2/3rds less illness. Hans Gruen, MD
- There is a growing body of research that shows massage therapy can alleviate the pain of many conditions, including cancer, osteoarthritis, and carpal tunnel syndrome.
- Approximately 45 million Americans experience chronic headaches, and of those, more than 60% suffer from migraines. A 2006 study in the Annals of Behavioral Medicine showed that those who received massage therapy had fewer migraines for more than three weeks following treatment.
- The results from a study on low back pain, published in 2003 Annals of Internal Medicine, showed that massage therapy reduced the patient’s need for pain medications by 36%, compared to other therapies, including acupuncture. This is great news for more than 100 million Americans who experience low back pain.
Bottom line, massage is effective in pain relief and is beneficial as a stress-reducer and wellness measure. In reality, massage therapy in an integral component of an overall health maintenance plan.
See, massage is good for you. It has long-lasting effects too.