Some days it may seem impossible to find the time to plan, shop, and cook healthy meals for your family, but it can be easier than you think. Read on to learn more about the benefits of meal planning and shopping for local and organic food.
What are the Benefits to Meal Planning?
- Saves Money- You will be eating less pre-packaged food, eating out less, and buying only the groceries you will need for your meal plan. Eat what’s in season and save more!
- Less Stress- You will already have a plan for busy days, no need to hear “what’s for dinner” all day, and no wondering to yourself, “what should I make for dinner today?”
- Eat Healthier- No more stopping for fast food, eating out, or eating prepackaged/processed foods.
- No Food Waste- Planning helps you purchase only what you need; no more tossing out the
- well-intended kale or cauliflower.
- Save Time- Less Trips to the grocery store, less time each day planning a meal.
- Add Variety- Never eat the same thing twice in one month! It’s up to you, the possibilities are endless. You can also plan around food allergies or intolerance.
- Makes Shopping Easier- You’ll have exactly what you need on your list. Also, having and sticking to a list makes it less tempting to “impulse buy.”
Why Should We Buy Local?
- Food tastes and looks better
- Fresher food has more nutrients
- More variety
- Safer Food – no anonymous farmers
- Supports local families and builds communities
- Benefits the environment
- Ensures future farming
- More Organic and non-GMO options
- Peace of mind knowing where your food comes from
There are a number of local farmers markets, co-ops and natural food markets for finding everything you need. One of our favorites is the Mazopiya Natural Food Market in Shakopee. Want to do a food share or find a CSA? (Community Supported Agriculture) go to: localharvest.org/eden-prairie-mn or mymnfarmer.com/CSA
There really is a ton of information on the internet to help you become an expert meal planner! Find planners, recipes, meal plans and even blogs and ideas from people that have got this down to a science. Once you are organized and have a routine, you will find you have more time, healthier eating habits and less stress. Good Luck, you can do it!